Friday, April 24, 2020

Models for teaching map reading during HBL

Used my son's old model car (really dusty because they are more than 20 years old) to illustrate the concept of map scale during HBL via Google Meet. I think the students learn better when they can connect with what they knew.

I was preparing for next week's lesson on contour and realised the cardboard model I made is in school. Decided to make some more from the styrofoam and cardboard box which came with a small table I just ordered. To illustrate that when the contour lines are close to each other, the slope of the hill or mountain is steep and when it is far apart it is gently sloping.

Will let the students play with this when they are back in school. Since I have more now, I can get them to arrange the model to show steep slopes on a certain compass direction(will cut 8 small square cardboards with the eight compass points written on each ). Then take a photo and upload on the padlet which I can embed in SLS. Alternative I can get them to upload on the interactive thinking tool in SLS.

My earlier post on some of the teaching models/aids I have created.
http://geogshare.blogspot.com/2018/03/self-made-teaching-aids.html?m=1



No comments:

Post a Comment